Breast of pigeon on a warm bacon, field mushroom & walnut salad
This quantity will serve 4 people as a starter.
4 x pigeon breasts
½ x small onion (finely diced)
2 x cloves garlic (crushed)
6 x rashers of streaky bacon (cut into thin strips)
Olive oil for frying
4 x Flat field mushrooms (sliced)
Flat leaf parsley (roughly chopped)
Splash of red wine vinegar
8 x whole walnuts in their shells
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Mixed salad leaves
How to cook
- Roast the walnuts in a warm oven for 10 minutes, then crack open and remove one half of the nut (discarding the empty shell) so that you have a mix of shelled nuts and some still contained inside their shells.
- Cook the bacon lardons in a slug of olive oil until crunchy, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a piece of kitchen paper leaving the oil in the pan.
- Sweat off the onion and garlic in the bacon fat together with a slug of olive oil and add the mushrooms and fry until any water has evaporated from them.
- Add the red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, parsley, roasted walnuts and bacon and stir through until all ingredients are warm and combined.
- Heat some more olive oil in a frying pan and pan fry the pigeon breasts for about a minute on each side so they stay pink in the middle. Remove from the heat and rest while you plate up the salad.
- Pile the mixed leaves into the middle of a plate and top with the warm bacon and walnut salad spooning over any dressing left in the pan.
- Slice the pigeon breast and lay on top of the salad and serve at once.